Cnnf Dispersed Camping ban

Chequamegon-Nicolet Nationa Forest bans dated 4/9/2020

The Chequamegon-Nicolet National Forest is shutting down restroom facilities at recreation sites across the National Forest, however, trails and roads may be open for use. The press release also announces the prohibition of dispersed camping and campfires until further notice. See the full release here


news & links

#savethepipeline4x4trail, the pipeline, offroad Wisconsin, crivitz, mountain, Nicolet


Several groups and clubs in Wisconsin are actively working with the Forest Service to repair, maintain and monitor this trail. Please stay tuned for updates on how you can join us in preserving this and many more trails in the Nicolet National Forest.

cnnf, mvum, Nicolet National Forest, the pipeline, Pipeline 4x4 challenge trail, offroad Wisconsin

National Forest Motor Vehicle Use Maps

The Motor Vehicle Use Map (MVUM) displays the designated network of roads and trails for public motor vehicle use. The MVUM is your tool for knowing where you can legally operate your motor vehicle. Wisconsin MVUM link 

If you are interested in learning more about how to use the MUM, see this article by Nathan Anderson here


Mapping Tools and Resources- AVENZA

Use maps on your mobile devices and locate yourself without the Internet or network connections. Stay safe & aware of where you are, even in the remotest of places using the Avenza Maps app.

Take Avenza Maps hiking, biking, climbing, camping and anywhere you need a map outdoors. Offline location helps you stay on track, on the trail, and out of restricted areas. LINK


Mapping Tools and Resources- GAIA

Become a Member to use maps offline, and access the best selection of outdoor maps. We recommend Gaia because it allows for the use of many map layers, including the NFS MVUMs, and road closure info is accessed directly on the map with just a touch. Use the Northology affiliate Gaia link  to get 20-50% off your membership.


Street legal OHV info for DNR routes in Michigan

Are you driving a street legal, secretary of state licensed car, truck, or SUV? You only need a permit or license for designated DNR ORV routes not passable by conventional 2-wheel drive passenger vehicle and scramble areas (ie, Silver Lake Sand Dunes or Drummond Island.)  Please refer to the MI DNR website for more info on motorcycle,  atv and utv  requirements. Also note, there may be entrance fees for certain state and national parks, campgrounds, day use areas and trailheads so always check the destination information.

Michigan DNR routes are only a small portion of the many forest roads, two track and trails you can explore. Go to the USFS website for MVUMs- Motor Vehicle Use Maps, and state and county forest pages for additional maps and current regulations.